In this episode of Ask The Tax Attorney, our guest, Marina Bentata, shares her insight on practical legal solutions for entrepreneurs. As an experienced corporate attorney, she emphasizes the importance of finding a trademark lawyer before investing in a name to avoid wasting time and resources. She also highlights the value of intellectual property and advises against assuming internet material is public domain. With a focus on personalized relationships with clients, Marina shares her experiences winning cases against fraud accusations and trademark registration, and the importance of registering trademarks in countries where products are manufactured. Additionally, she explains the benefit of purchasing assets rather than companies to avoid liabilities, and how vital a brand can be to a growing business. Tune in to hear more about Marina’s expertise.
Listen in to learn more about:
- [00:07:36] Importance of intellectual property and trademark registration is emphasized, especially for protecting brands in the US.
- [00:10:13] Due diligence is recommended when purchasing a company to avoid liabilities, and tax attorneys work with accountants to do the tax side of the due diligence.
- [00:14:08] Practical solutions are needed when law explanations don’t work.
- [00:18:14] Legal advice is important before signing agreements to avoid future problems, and intellectual property should be protected with trademarks and copyrights. Registering trademarks in countries of manufacturing is crucial to avoid future export problems.
- [00:21:44] Be cautious when using images from the internet; not everything is public and could lead to legal trouble. Has happened before with advertising companies.
My Tax Alarm. Attention business owners: Don’t let a single tax mistake jeopardize your future success. With My Tax Alarm, you can breathe easy knowing our expert tax professionals are monitoring your tax transcripts every day to catch any potential issues before they become a problem. Stay ahead of the IRS and sleep soundly tonight – join My Tax Alarm today
MARINA BENTATA BIO:
Marina Bentata is a Venezuelan attorney with over 14 years of experience. After helping multinational and domestic companies with their corporate and intellectual property needs, she moved to the US with her family in 2003. While her son was in college, Marina attended Nova Southeastern Law School and earned her LLM in business law. She passed the bar in 2006 and became licensed in Florida, working in estate planning and later transitioning to the corporate world. After working for a Fortune 500 company, Marina decided to go solo and specialize in corporate law where she helps entrepreneurs with their structures and commercial agreements. She also assists with franchising businesses as they grow.
Connect with Marina https://www.bentatalaw.com/
Connect with Claudia Moncarz:
- Website: https://www.moncarzlaw.com/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@AskTheTaxAttorney
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/claudiamoncarz/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/AskTheTaxAttorney/
LISTEN OR SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE IN YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST APP:
#lawpractice #legalissues #lawfirm #lawyers #moncarzlaw #askthetaxattorney #marinabentata